Things I like (about)
- Consistency in design of various subsystems.
- Extensible design.
- Multiple ways to modify and reprogram it without changing a single line of code.
- Open source.
- Very compact syntax (quick to learn, hard to forget).
- No superfluous built in commands or syntax.
- No need to compile.
- Commonly used high level data structures are built into the language.
- Programming can be done extremely quickly (and it just seems to work).
- High level enough to get things done.
- Close enough to the machine level to write device drivers and build efficient applications.
- It seems with open source the market comes to you instead of the other way around. (I.e. you're not marketing a product. Others will find your software if it's useful.)
- It works. And if it doesn't you can fix it.
- You can learn from it.